My favorite category here is Royal Pondering because of what I get to learn and imbibe to. It gives me an opportunity to research on nuggets that influence our daily living.
I was angry, yelling while tears were rolling down my cheeks the other day. Few minutes later when those emotions were no more, I chided myself not because I didn’t have a right to react the way I did given the circumstances but because I could have reacted better; I could have responded peacefully.
Hmmm…so what is Peace?
Imagine stepping on a fellow passenger because the bus was set in motion before you could seat, you gasped knowing your weight and the nature of your shoe but before you could string out apologies. The recipient of the assault smiles and says, though it was a painful, I understand it was a mistake.
How would you feel?
I’m sure you also acknowledge the fact another person could have reacted differently.
What’s the difference?
The devil will do a number of things everyday to upset us. There is nothing more frustrating for him when we don’t react or respond as he expects.Don’t blame the reason for your being upset on the circumstances but on your inability to respond to them peaceful.
We have to put on peace on daily basis. Decide to be peaceful, make conscious effort to make it possible. Until we make efforts, no amount of prayer will work. Remember that God wouldn’t ask you to follow peace with all men if it weren’t possible and if you didn’t have the capability.
It is imperative to discover why you are not peaceful? Your family history? Your environment? Experiences? Ignorance?
We all can feel it when we’re beginning to get upset and the key is to deal with it before it gets to your mouth.
In Colo 3:15, the Bible says
And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful.
And in 1 Peter 3:10-11
10 For the Scriptures say, “If you want to enjoy life and see many happy days, keep your tongue from speaking evil and your lips from telling lies.
11 Turn away from evil and do good. Search for peace, and work to maintain it.
*Search for peace and work to maintain it. When God convicts you of anything, work on it until you’re transformed.
How do I maintain peace with God, Self and Others?
-Be very quick to repent. Please read unhurriedly the passage below.
1 Oh, what joy for those whose disobedience is forgiven, whose sin is put out of sight!
2 Yes, what joy for those whose record the Lord has cleared of guilt, whose lives are lived in complete honesty!
3 When I refused to confess my sin, my body wasted away, and I groaned all day long.
4 Day and night your hand of discipline was heavy on me. My strength evaporated like water in the summer heat. Interlude
– Do not be upset with God when things don’t work out the way you planned or expected.
Life is not fair but God is just.
– Stop trying to figure everything out. It’s only God that knows everything, be comfortable saying – I don’t know.
– Be at peace with yourself.
– Stop taking inventory of everything that is wrong with you.
– Face your faults but don’t focus on them
* When the devil remind you of your failures and shortcomings, thank him for reminding you of how God has forgiven and helped you.
– Stop comparing yourself with others.
– Stop defining yourself by the way other people treated you.
Peace with others,
– it entails humility. So many times we expect others to be like us, react the way we expect but the truth is we don’t have everything figured out.
– learn to keep your mouth shut. Mind your business, keep your opinion yourself except it’s life saving or asked for.
– don’t be easily offended, learn to forgive quickly.
Mind you, it’s impossible to have peace without patience and self control. Who knows what I’ll be sharing on next?
I wouldn’t have effectively written this post without the inspiration and lessons from Joyce Meyer’s teaching on Peace and Patience.
Remember Jesus spoke peace to the storm because he was full of peace. You can’t give what you don’t have.
Have you put on peace today?
I pray that these words will grow and bear rich fruits in your life in such a way that it draw and set others on the path of righteousness.